Yugoslavian Coffee Cake (Povitica)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk, butter, eggs, sugar,
salt and 3 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour
to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until
smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Dough is ready if
indentation remains when touched.
- Punch dough down; divide into halves. Roll each half into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle
on lightly floured surface. Spread half the Walnut Filling over each rectangle.
Roll up tightly, beginning at 15-inch side. Pinch edge of dough into each roll to
seal well. Stretch rolls to make even.
- With sealed edges down, coil into small shapes
on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake until golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Brush with butter if desired; spread with Glaze.
- Walnut Filling: Mix all ingredients.
- Glaze: Mix confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla extract until smooth.
Stir in additional water if necessary, 1/2 teaspoon at a time.