Alsatian Pork with Sauerkraut
(Choucroute Garnie a la Alsacienne)
The Alsace-Lorraine region blends French and German cuisine.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into fourths
- 2 tart apples, sliced
- 12 juniper berries (optional)
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 smoked pork chops, 1/2-inch thick
- 4 frankfurters, slashed diagonally
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Cook and stir bacon and onion in Dutch oven or 12-inch skillet until bacon is
- Stir in sauerkraut and brown sugar.
- Add potatoes and apples.
- Tie juniper berries,
peppercorns, cloves, parsley and bay leaf in cheesecloth bag or place in tea ball;
add to sauerkraut.
- Add pork chops and frankfurters.
- Pour chicken broth over meat.
Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until meat is done and potatoes are
tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove spice bag.
- Remove sauerkraut, potatoes and apples to large platter with
- Arrange meat around edge.
Yield: 4 servings