Asparagus a la Flamande
(Asperges op Vlaamse Wijze,
Asperges a la Flamande)
This dish is a specialty in restaurants all over Belgium, and the Belgians believe
the white asparagus grown in the area around Mechelen to be the best in the world.
You can use whatever type of asparagus is found fresh in your area.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, white if possible
- 3 eggs, hard-cooked and peeled
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons finely
chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- A grating of fresh nutmeg
- Unless the asparagus are very thin, peel away the tough outer skin using a vegetable
peeler. Tie them in a bundle with kitchen twine and drop into a large pot of boiling
water. Cook uncovered until tender, 10 to 20 minutes depending on thickness.
the asparagus from the water and drain on a towel.
- Mash the eggs with a fork in a small bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and
stir to combine.
- Arrange the asparagus on a serving platter or individual plates
and spoon the egg mixture on top, leaving the ends of the asparagus uncovered.
Serves 4 to 6.