Asparagus with Gruyere
(Asperges a la Gruyere)
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Parmesan
- Break off touch ends of asparagus as far down as stalks snap easily. Wash asparagus.
Arrange in single layer in ungreased 11 x 7-inch dish. Sprinkle with salt.
with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Heat butter over low heat until light brown. Drizzle over asparagus; sprinkle
- Place in oven just until cheese softens, 5 to 8 minutes.
* 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen asparagus spears can be substituted for the fresh
asparagus. Rinse asparagus under running cold water to separate; drain. Cover and
bake for about 35 minutes.