A delightful dinner a friend made for me some time ago. Just had to have the
recipe. A bit time consuming but well worth it!
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 (3 pound) chuck roast
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cognac or brandy
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 carrots, cut up
- 1/2 pound tiny white onions
- 16 fresh whole mushrooms
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Brown bacon until crisp, then crumble. Add oil to bacon drippings. Cut chuck
roast into 1-inch cubes, then toss pieces into a mixture of the flour, salt and
- Coat beef cubes and brown meat along with onions and garlic in the fat mixture.
Drain off fat. Return the meat, onion and garlic to the pot.
- In a small saucepan heat cognac or brandy and set aflame, then pour over meat
- Stir in Burgundy wine, beef broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer
for 1 hour until tender.
- Add carrots, onions and mushrooms. Remove bay leaves and simmer another 20-30
minutes to cook vegetables. Stir in bacon; garnish with parsley.
- Serve over noodles.
- Can thicken with 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with water if desired.
I've improvised and made this in the slow cooker too.
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine 7/21/01 4:07:37 pm
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> French Recipes