(Souffle au Fromage)
Serve with a lettuce salad and crusty French bread.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Heat butter in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Blend in flour, salt
and red pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth
and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in cheese until melted; remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large mixer bowl until stiff but not dry.
- Beat egg yolks in small mixer bowl until very thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes;
stir into cheese mixture.
- Stir about 1/4 of the egg whites into cheese mixture.
- Fold cheese mixture into remaining egg whites.
- Carefully pour into greased 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish or casserole.
- Bake uncovered
until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings