Chicken Fricassee (Fricassee de Poulet)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bouquets garni
- 16 small white onions
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- Cook and stir carrots, sliced onion and celery in 4 tablespoons butter in Dutch
oven until onions are tender; push to side.
- Add chicken; cook uncovered until light brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add water, 1/2 cup of the wine, bouillon, salt and 1 bouquet garni. Heat to boiling;
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until thickest pieces of chicken are done, about 40
- Heat onions, 2 tablespoons butter, remaining wine and 1 bouquet garni to boiling;
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until onions are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken and onions to warm platter with slotted spoon.
- Strain bouillon
and onion liquid together; discard bouquets garni, carrots, onion and celery slices.
- Add mushrooms and lemon juice and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer
uncovered until reduced to 2 1/2 cups.
- Mix egg yolks and whipping cream.
- Beat 1 cup hot broth by tablespoonsful into whipping cream mixture.
- Beat in remaining broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Boil and stir 1 minute: pour over chicken and onions.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with rice or hot buttered noodles.
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> French Recipes