Coq au Vin
(Chicken Braised in Red Wine)
- 1 chicken, cut into 9 pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces
pearl onions, peeled
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaves),
- 2 cups red wine
- Salt, pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- Brown the chicken in the butter in a frying pan over moderate heat.
- Place chicken in a heavy casserole.
- Brown the onions and bacon in the frying pan and add to the chicken.
- Remove all
but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan.
- Add the flour and stir well.
- Add stock, bouquet
garni, wine, salt and pepper. Stir and pour over the chicken. Cover and simmer 30
- Add the red wine vinegar.
- Reduce the sauce before serving.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark