- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Measure carefully, and place 1 cup water, bread flour, sugar, salt, and yeast
into bread machine pan in the order recommended by the machine's manufacturer.
Select Dough/Manual cycle.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover. Let rise in
a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until doubled in bulk. Dough is ready if indentation
remains when touched.
- Punch down dough. Roll into a 16- x 12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
Cut dough in half, creating two 8- x 12-inch rectangles. Roll up each half of dough
tightly, beginning at 12-inch side. Roll gently back and forth to taper ends.
- Place 3 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Make 1/4-inch deep diagonal slashes
across loaves every 2 inches, or make one lengthwise slash on each loaf. Cover.
Let rise in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- Mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water; brush over tops of loaves.
- Bake for 20
to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Yield: 2 baguettes
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine April 29, 2001.