French Boiled Dinner (Pot au Feu)
Pot au Feu means "pot in the fire."
- 1 1/2 pounds beef boneless chuck roast
- 1 marrow bone (optional)
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 10 to 12 small carrots
- 10 to 12 small onions or 3 large onions, cut into fourths
- 3 medium turnips, cut into fourths
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place beef, marrow bone, peppercorns, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme and bay leaf in
Dutch oven. Add water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add chicken; cover and simmer 1 hour longer.
- Add carrots, onions, turnips and celery; sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and
pepper. Cover and simmer until beef and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to warm platter; slice beef.
- Strain broth; serve in soup bowls as a first course.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings