French Country Stew
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 packages Lightlife Savory Seitan (Teriyaki or Traditional flavor), drained and cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 small to medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups medium white mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 1/2 cups whole white pearl onions, peeled
- 2 cups carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons butter (3 tablespoons olive oil)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over low heat. Slowly whisk in flour, stirring constantly.
Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of stock, whisking constantly until gravy smoothes
out and begins to thicken.
- Stir in remaining stock. Cook until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Transfer to 6 to 8 quart stock pot or large crockpot.
- Add seitan, potatoes,
mushrooms, onions, carrots and green beans.
- Add rosemary and thyme. Simmer over
low heat for one hour (or in crockpot for longer if preferred).
- Add red wine 15 minutes before serving.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over noodles, rice or by itself.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark.