French Onion Soup
This is a recipe from a very good French cook we spent a few years with, and
the best French onion soup I've ever had.
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups consommé
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup boiled milk
- 1/4 pound grated Swiss cheese
- 6 dried slices French bread
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- In heavy skillet, cook onions in butter until slightly brown. Sprinkle with flour
and cook over low heat until golden, never allowing them to become dark brown.
- Add consommé and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, then
simmer gently for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Add milk.
- Pour into ovenproof casserole or individual bowls.
- Place slices of bread on top, sprinkle generously with cheese.
- Brown quickly under broiler flame.
Serves 4 to 6
Posted by swm56 at Recipe Goldmine April 30, 2001.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> French Recipes