French Pepper Steaks
- 4 beef tenderloins, 1 1/2 inches thick
- 3 tablespoons cognac or brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon tarragon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- Grind lots of pepper into a dish, sprinkle in tarragon.
- Press tenderloins in dish and grind more pepper on top. Press in with flat of knife.
- In a hot skillet, add 2 tablespoons butter and brown meat on both sides.
- Turn and cook about 3 minutes more for rare (or cook more to your preference).
- Remove to a platter and turn heat to low.
- Add remaining butter, melt and add brandy slowly, letting brand cook out and scraping brown bits.
- Add cream, mix in well and season to taste.
- Pour sauce over tenderloins.
Posted by swm56 at Recipe Goldmine April 30, 2001.