Gateau St. Honore
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter,
cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large
- Melted semisweet chocolate or confectioners' sugar
Rich Pastry Cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter,
cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat water and butter to boiling in medium saucepan, stirring until butter is
- Remove from heat; add flour and salt all at once stirring until combined.
- Return to heat, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until dough leaves the
side of the pan and forms a ball, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Beat in
eggs, one at a time, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Fill pastry bag with large plain tip and pipe dough onto cookie sheets, or spoon
dough onto greased cookie sheets, using about 1 1/2 tablespoons for each cream puff.
Smooth tops of puffs with a wet spoon or finger.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until cream puffs are golden and dry, 30 to 40 minutes.
(Do not open oven door during first 20 minutes.) Cool puffs on wire racks.
- Cut cream puffs in half with a serrated knife; gently pull out any wet dough
in center of puffs.
- Return puffs to oven and bake until insides are dry, about 5
- Fill puffs with Rich Pastry Cream up to 1 hour before serving.
- Arrange puffs
in a circular or wreath pattern on serving dish; refrigerate until serving time.
- Drizzle cream puffs with melted chocolate and/or sprinkle with confectioners'
- Rich Pastry Cream: Beat egg yolks and sugar in large bowl until eggs are thick
and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in flour. Heat milk to simmering in small saucepan; gradually whisk milk
into egg yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan; cook over medium-high heat, whisking
constantly, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla
extract to pastry cream, stirring until butter is melted.
- Refrigerate until chilled, 1 to 2 hours.
Makes 3 to 4 dozen mini-cream puffs and about 3 1/2 cups pastry cream