Gruyere Ring (Gougere)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat milk and butter to rolling boil in 2-quart saucepan.
- Stir in flour. Stir
vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute; remove from
- Beat in 4 eggs all at once; continue beating until smooth.
- Fold in 2/3 cup of the cheese.
- Drop dough by tablespoonsful onto greased cookie sheet to form 8-inch
ring; smooth with spatula.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until puffed and golden, 50 to 60 minutes.