Herbed Liver Pate (Pate Provencal)
This recipe needs the special brandy made in the Cognac region of France. Serve
with cornichons (tiny pickled gherkins).
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 pound chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed
dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Cognac or Madeira
- 1/4 cup whipping
- French bread, thinly sliced and toasted
- Cook and stir onion in butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until tender.
- Add livers. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until livers are
no longer pink inside, about 12 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in salt, thyme,
rosemary, marjoram, sage and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Place liver mixture in food processor work bowl fitted with steel blade.
Cognac to skillet; stir Cognac, and scrape drippings from skillet. Add to liver
mixture. Cover and process with about 15 pulses until mixture is very finely chopped.
- Add whipping cream. Cover and process, adding 2 or 3 teaspoons whipping cream if
necessary, until smooth and fluffy, about 15 seconds.
- Pack liver mixture into small bowl or crock. Cover and refrigerate at least 6
- Let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with
- Garnish with cornichons and parsley if desired.
Makes 1 1/2 cups