Madeleines are a French tea cake with a scalloped shell shape that is ribbed
on one side, and smooth, with a hump, on the other.
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (optional)
- 1/2 cup clarified butter, melted and cooled
- Grease and flour well 12 Madeleine shells.
- Beat eggs with salt until frothy; then gradually beat in sugar. Beat the mixture
at high speed until very thick and lemon colored, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fold in
the flour, 2 tablespoons at a time, and the lemon peel, if desired.
- Add butter,
1 tablespoon at a time, and fold it in quickly.
- Fill shells about 3/4 full and bake
in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Immediately emove from
shells to wire rack to cool.