Onion Tart (Pissaladiere)
This is a rustic French bread featuring the Provencal touch of olive oil and
anchovies and cured olives of the Mediterranean.
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf frozen bread dough
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 (2 ounce) cans anchovy fillets, drained
- 10 oil-cured Greek olives, cut into halves and pitted
- Thaw bread dough as directed on package.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet until hot.
- Stir in onions; reduce heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions
are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in basil and white pepper.
- Shape dough into flattened rectangle on lightly floured surface. Roll dough with
floured rolling pin into a 14 x 11-inch rectangle.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet; let rest for 15 minutes.
- Spoon onion mixture evenly over dough to within 1 inch of edge.
- Arrange anchovies in lattice pattern on onions.
- Top with olives.
- Let tart rest 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake until crust is brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 8 to 10 servings