(Poulet a L'estragon)
This is a favorite dish in the Burgundy region of France.
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- 1 cup chicken broth or
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1
teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons
- 1 egg yolk
- Hot cooked noodles
- Heat chicken, chicken broth, carrots, tarragon, salt, pepper and bay leaf to
boiling in 12-inch skillet or Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, celery and onion. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer
until thickest pieces of chicken are done, about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to warm platter with slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Drain liquid from skillet; strain and reserve 1 cup. Pour reserved liquid and the
wine into skillet.
- Mix half-and-half, flour and egg yolk until smooth; stir into
wine mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Serve with chicken, vegetables
Servings: 6 to 8