- 6 cups sliced tart apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 10 leaves packaged phyllo dough
- 2 cups butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Mix together the apples, raisins, lemon zest, sugar, cinnamon, and almonds and
- Place a phyllo leaf on a large kitchen towel and brush with butter. Place a second
leaf on top of the first and brush with butter. Repeat three more times, making
a stack of 5 leaves.
- Combine the bread crumbs with 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan and cook over
moderate heat until lightly browned. Sprinkle a little less than half the bread
crumbs on the buttered phyllo. Place half the apple mixture in a strip about 3 inches
wide along the narrow edge of the phyllo. Lift the towel, using it to roll the phyllo
around the filling. Use the towel to place the strudel on a greased baking sheet.
Brush with butter and sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of the crumbs. Repeat the
entire procedure for the second strudel.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 2 strudels to serve 10 to 12.