- 1 small head cabbage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound lean pork, cubed
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 to 6 strips thickly-sliced bacon
- Remove outer, wilted cabbage leaves and core. Place cabbage in a large pot of
boiling water and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove and drain. Gently pull off
12 leaves and set aside. Finely chop remaining cabbage.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil; add onions, pork and ground beef. Cook until
lightly browned. Drain off excess fat.
- Add chopped cabbage, caraway seeds, salt
and pepper. Pour in the white wine. Cover and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes,
- Grease an ovenproof dish with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil; line the dish with
half the cabbage leaves.
- Spoon in the meat mixture; cover with remaining cabbage leaves.
- Cut bacon strips in half and arrange on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes.
Yields 4 servings