This is a favorite Christmas cookie.
- 1 pound butter
- 4 cups flour, sifted after measuring
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- Yolks of 4 hardboiled eggs, mashed
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Cut together butter and flour as for pie crust.
- Add 2 cups sugar and both raw
and cooked egg yolks and mix, kneading thoroughly. Form into a long roll and cut
into lengthwise strips. Cut strips into small squares of equal size. Roll squares
with hands into thin strips 4 or 5 inches long. Cross ends firmly, making a shape
like a circle with the ends overlapping and extending downward. Dip one side of
the cookie into unbeaten egg white. Then dip into a mixture of pecans and 1/4 cup
- Place on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F until light brown.
- Keeps well in a cookie tin.
Makes 12 dozen cookies.