- 3 pounds lean pork
- 1 1/2 pounds fatty pork
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sage
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon mace
For a Brat Fry
- 16 ounces pilsner beer
- 4 large onions, sliced thick
- 2 tablespoons Polish mustard with horseradish
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 12 bratwurst in casings
- 6 hard rolls
- Bratwurst: Coarsely grind meats with the seasonings, pack into a crock, and seal
the top with a layer of pork fat and aluminum foil to let the flavors ripen overnight
in the refrigerator. Form the meat into patties and fry them or stuff the meat into
casings and poach in simmering water 45 minutes.
- Brat Fry: Bring beer to a simmer in a pan with 1 of the onions, the mustard and
ketchup. Add bratwurst and simmer about 20 minutes. Have your grill or broiler hot.
Drain the bratwurst. Grill brats and remaining onion slices about 5 minutes on each
side. Grill the split rolls quickly. Fork a pair of wurst onto each and top with
onions. Serve with plenty of extra mustard and ketchup and beer.
Makes about 16 links or patties.