Dead Men's Bones (Totenbeinli)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 3 eggs
- 9 ounces almonds, blanched, peeled and chopped (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Beat the butter with the sugar until white and creamy.
- Add one egg at a time,
beating well, then add the almonds, cinnamon, a pinch of salt and finally the flour.
- Knead the dough well and shape it into a long rectangle about 1 1/2 inches thick
and 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide.
- Refrigerate the dough for one hour, or until firm.
- Cut the rectangle crosswise into 1/4-inch slices, place them on baking sheets
and brush them with the egg yolk.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes, until just golden.
Makes about 70.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 9:03:11am 9/30/03.
Source: Tante Heidi's Swiss Kitchen