Drei Augen Cookies
(Three Eyes Cookies)
- 2 1/2 sticks butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole unblanched finely ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups currant jelly
- Cream the butter and sugar until very well blended. Add the flour, almonds and
- Divide the dough into thirds. Place each third between sheets of wax or parchment
paper. Roll out into a circle that is 11 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick,
making sure no creases are forming on the underside of the dough.
- Place the sheet with covered rolled dough on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for
at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and butter cookie sheets.
- Remove sheet with dough
from the refrigerator and peel paper off the top side. Using a 1 1/2-inch cutter,
cut circles of dough from your 11-inch circle. Then, using something 3/8 inch in
diameter, cut three holes in every other cookie.
- Carefully lift each round to the baking sheet and space them an inch and a half
apart. Bake the cookies with the holes on a different sheet than the cookies that
do not have holes. The ones with holes cook faster. Bake them one sheet at a time
for about 8 minutes each. Do NOT allow them to become brown.
- Remove the cookie sheet to a rack and allow the cookies to become firm before
- Sift confectioners' sugar over the cookies that have holes in them.
- Boil the currant jelly for two minutes. Cool to lukewarm. Turn the cookies that
do not have holes over so you have the bottom up. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon jelly on each
cookie. Top with a cut out cookie. Press lightly and the jelly will show through
Makes about 36 cookies.
You can vary the filling between the traditional red currant, raspberry