Dutch Boiled Dinner
(Hutspot met Klapstuk)
A national stew in Holland, this was first served to honor the victory of the
Netherlands over Spain in 1574.
- 1 (2 pound) beef brisket
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium potatoes, pared and quartered
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced parsley
- Prepared mustard or horseradish
- Heat beef, water and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover
and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onions; sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer until beef and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Drain meat and vegetables, reserving broth.
- Mash vegetables or puree in food mill; mound on heated platter.
- Cut beef across grain into thin slices; arrange around vegetables.
- Garnish with parsley; serve with reserved broth and mustard or horseradish.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings