Dutch Fried Puffs (Olie Bollen)
In the Netherlands, chopped apples or other fruit are sometimes stirred into
- Vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat 2 to 3 inches oil to 375 degrees F.
- Beat milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup oil, the eggs, baking powder, salt, mace and
1 cup of the flour in large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30
seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour and the currants. Drop batter by teaspoonsful into hot
oil. Turn puffs as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown, 2 to 2 1/2
minutes on each side; drain.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Roll puffs in sugar mixture.
Makes about 30 puffs.