Dutch Split Pea Soup (Erwtensoep)
- 9 cups water
- 1 pound dried green split peas (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 pounds smoked pork hocks
- 6 leeks
- 4 stalks celery (with leaves), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried savory leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound cooked smoked sliced sausage (kielbasa, knockwurst or frankfurters)
- Heat water and peas to boiling in Dutch oven; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients, except sausage, to peas.
Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until pork is tender, about 2 hours.
Skim fat if necessary.
- Remove pork hocks; cool slightly. Trim fat and bone from pork. Cut pork into
- Stir pork and sausage into soup. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer until sausage is hot, 15 minutes.
- Remove sausage and slice.
- Serve sausage with pumpernickel bread and prepared mustard if desired or
return to soup.
Yield: 8 servings