Franz's Original Austrian "Apfelstrudel"
Franz showed us how to make this strudel and gave out the recipe at one of the
ship's on-board activities. We all were served this with the vanilla ice cream
that night as dinner. It was delicious! (I have copied the recipe as it was printed
and given to us.)
THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS IS THE PASTRY.
- 9 ounces flour
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 6 1/2 pounds sliced apples
- White breadcrumbs, roasted in butter
- Crushed nuts
- Sugar to taste
- Lemon juice
- Rum to taste
- Pastry: Work all ingredients into a pastry together, until it is not sticky any
more. Let the pastry rest for 1 hour. In-between you have enough time to prepare
- Filling: Now you mix all the ingredients together. So, the pastry had enough
rest now and we can start. Roll the pastry very thin (you must be able to read the
recipe underneath), top it with the filling and cover it.
- Heat the oven to 380 to 400 degrees F and put the strudel in for approximately
45 minutes. Put powdered sugar on it and serve it warm on vanilla sauce (or with
vanilla ice cream or with whipped cream).
Posted by Lorraine38 at Recipe Goldmine 5/9/02 9:19:26 am.
Source: Franz Schmidler, Austrian Executive Chef on Grand Circle's "MS
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> German Recipes