German Almond Bread
The sweet flavor of almonds makes this bread the perfect match for a cup of coffee.
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup almond paste, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the cereal and milk and set aside for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8 x 4-inch loaf pans.
- Cream together the almond paste, butter, eggs and sugar. Add the cereal mixture
and mix well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into another bowl. Add to
the almond paste mixture and mix thoroughly. Spoon into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the loaves comes
- Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out of the pans to cool thoroughly on
Yield: 2 loaves