German Beef Stew
This is delightful on a cold winter's night. It is unusually flavorful and
perfect with noodles, green beans and a tossed salad.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large tart green apple, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Brown meat in oil.
- Add apple, carrot, onion, water, bouillon cubes, wine, anchovy
paste, garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours or until
beef is tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Combine cornstarch and the 1/4 cup cold water.
Add to beef mixture. Cook and stir until thickened.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> German Recipes