German Butter Cake (Butterkuchen)
German Butter Cake, also known as Butterkuchen, is a delicious German recipe. This recipe is from the Hamburg Cookbook.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 1 (3/5 ounce) cake fresh yeast
- 2/3 cup tepid milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 14 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Chopped Almond Topping
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup almonds, blanched and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Mix the yeast with the milk and 2 1/2 cups of the flour; let this sponge rise
for two hours in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Add the remaining flour, the egg yolks, butter and sugar. Knead well for about
10 minutes, then let rise for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to fit a well-buttered 20 x 16-inch jellyroll pan. Lay it
in the well buttered pan, brush it with the beaten egg, sprinkle it with the almonds
and coarse sugar and dot it with the butter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 45 minutes, or until golden.
Makes one 20 x 16-inch cake
Posted at The Cutting Board by Olga Wednesday Sep 7th, 2005 10:37 pm.
Source: Dorothee V. Hellermann, Das Kochbuch Aus Hamburg