German Cabbage Rolls
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small onion,
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (fresh)
- 16 cabbage leaves
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup
cooked white rice
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
teaspoon sage (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix sauce ingredients in saucepan and simmer 30 minutes.
- Blanch large head of cabbage in boiling water for 3 minutes. Peel off 16
leaves. (May have to dip in water again to get all leaves off).
- Mix ground beef, rice, onion, parsley and spices well. Pat down in bowl.
Cut into 16 (like cutting pie)
- Place meat mixture on cabbage leaf and fold up. May need to cut a "V"
at the core part of the cabbage leaf if too stiff too fold. Place seam side
down in pan. Make all rolls.
- Pour sauce over all. Top with crushed gingersnap crumbs. (12-14 cookies
- Bake covered at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Take cover off after first
Makes one 20 x 16-inch cake | Serving size : 16
From the kitchen of Gary Beck - San Francisco, California