German Chocolate Cake
This is a recipe of the original German Chocolate Cake. I found it in my grandmother's
recipes after she passed away. If I remember right, it is a very moist and yummy
- 1 package German sweet cooking chocolate
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter, margarine, or other shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks, unbeaten
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk or half-and-half
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 pound butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Melt chocolate in a half cup of boiling water. Cool.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, one at a time, beating after each.
- Add vanilla extract and melted chocolate and mix until blended.
- Sift flour with soda and salt.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beating after each
addition until batter is smooth.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter into three 8- or 9-inch layer pans, lined on bottoms with paper.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool.
- Frost top and between layers (garnish the top with whole pecans) with Coconut-Pecan
- Coconut-Pecan Frosting: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over
medium heat 12 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Add about
1 can tender-thin flaked coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans. Beat until cool and
of spreading consistency.
Makes enough frosting to cover three 9-inch layers.
Posted by strawberrytoo at Recipe Goldmine 4/14/02 7:32:46 pm.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> German Recipes