German Christmas Cookies
- 1 cup shortening, half butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Blend shortening and sugar together.
- Add grated lemon rind.
- Add eggs, reserving 1 white, and beat mixture until light.
- Sift flour, measure and add salt. Sift again.
- Slowly add sifted dry ingredients and work to a smooth, stiff dough.
- Shape into rolls 2 inches in diameter and chill for several hours in refrigerator.
- Slice 1/8-inch thick and roll on a board with flat part of the hand into fingerlike sticks.
- Shape like an "S." Chill again.
- Dip in slightly beaten egg white and then into granulated sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees F until golden brown.
Makes 6 dozen.