German Eggs in Green Sauce
This cold dish originated in Frankfurt and was reportedly one of the favorites
of Goethe. It is frequently served with boiled potatoes, which are dipped into the
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 9 to 13 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh herbs (any combination of parsley, tarragon, chives, dill or fennel greens)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Combine the sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise, and lemon juice.
- Finely chop one of the eggs and stir it into the mixture, along with the
herbs, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon the sauce onto a serving platter or individual plates.
- Slice the remaining eggs in half and arrange them on the sauce.
Serves 4 to 6.