German Onion Cake
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a medium skillet, sauté onions in butter over low heat until they just begin
to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the marjoram and pepper.
Set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder and remaining salt in a bowl.
- Add shortening and mix as for pie crust until texture of soft crumbs. Add milk and mix quickly
to form a soft dough.
- Oil a 10-inch round cake pan; with fingers, lightly spread
dough out evenly. Spread cooked onion over top.
- Mix egg and sour cream. Spoon this
mixture over onions, spreading it out to edges of pan.
- Sprinkle lightly with poppy seeds and paprika.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Let cool slightly, then cut into wedges.