German Plum Cake (Zwetschgenkuchen)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 pounds purple or red plums, halved and pitted (about 5 cups)
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Pastry: Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon peel and mace
until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Mix egg and water; stir into flour mixture.
- Gather pastry into a ball; knead just until smooth, 5 or 6 times.
- Press evenly on bottom and side of ungreased 9-inch round layer pan.
- Filling: Place plum halves, cut sides down and overlapping slightly, in pastry-lined
- Mix sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over plums.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until pastry is golden brown and plums are bubbly, 35 to 45