German Pot Roast
- 4 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 8 juniper berries (optional)
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles brown ale beer (Brookly Brown Ale works well)
- 4 cups beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 175 degrees F.
- Heat oil in heavy-bottom pan. Season roast with salt and freshly ground black
pepper. Sear on all sides until brown.
- Remove roast from pan and set aside. Add onions, carrots, turnips, thyme, bay
leaves, juniper berries, horseradish and peppercorns to pan; allow vegetables to
- Add tomato paste and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Deglaze pan with beer and cook another
2 to 3 minutes.
- Return roast to pan, add beef stock and bring to a low simmer. Place in oven
or transfer all ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Cook for 8 to 10 hours, until fork tender.
- Remove roast from oven and let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain vegetables, reserving liquid for sauce.
Nutritional information: Calories: 583 Fat: 21 g Saturated Fat: 8 g Cholesterol:
172 mg Carbohydrate: 29 g Dietary Fiber: 9 g Protein: 50 g Sodium: 1427 mg Iron:
73% of Daily Value
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Certified Angus Beef® brand. Used with