German Sour Cream Soup
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped potato
- 3/4 cup sliced zucchini
- 4 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1/4 cup rice
- 2 cups white sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- Sauté bacon in heavy kettle.
- Add cabbage, onion, celery, carrots, potato and
zucchini; reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, barley, and rice; simmer 2 hours.
- Blend in white sauce, vinegar, garlic, caraway seed, salt, Worcestershire, and
thyme. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Garnish with sour cream and serve.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.