- 1 pound hazelnuts, shelled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons rum extract or 2 to 3 tablespoons rum
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon confectioners'
- Grind hazelnuts to the consistency of flour.
- Add baking powder, sugar and 8 egg
yolks. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the 8 egg whites until stiff and fold into the hazelnut
- Add rum and place batter into a well-greased 8-inch springform pan.
at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- When cool, dust top of cake with confectioners' sugar. Release from pan and
Optional Decorating: Instead of dusting cake with confectioners' sugar, whip
heavy cream until it holds its shape. Sprinkle it with confectioners' sugar
and beat until firm. With pastry bag, pipe rosettes on top of cake and decorate
with hazelnuts. Cake can also be decorated with whipped cream which has been flavored
with rum and sugar.