Hot German Potato Salad
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 pound bacon or 2 tablespoons butter*
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. drain, peel, and while hot,
cut into 1/8-inch slices; sprinkle with the salt, pepper, mustard, sugar and flour.
- Heat water and vinegar to boiling point.
- Place bacon or beef, sliced and chopped fine, in skillet. Fry until light brown.
- Add onions. Brown slightly.
- Add potatoes and the hot vinegar; heat through to absorb the vinegar and
water; serve warm.
* If butter is used, the bits of fried bacon may be omitted. If the salad
is too dry, add a little hot water. It should have a glassy look without being lumpy