These cookies should be made a month to six weeks before they are to be given.
They will keep for another month after that.
- 1 cup honey
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sliced almonds or whole blanched almonds
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons water
- Cookies: Heat honey until bubbling. Remove from heat and cool slightly, then beat in the
sugar, egg, lemon juice and peel; set aside until lukewarm.
- Combine the flour with the spices and seasonings; add the honey mixture and stir
well to blend. Cover and refrigerate from 8 hours to 2 days.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Set them 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined
with baking paper. Press flat with the bottom of a wet glass. Press in 1 or 2 almond
slices or 1 whole almond.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with glaze while still warm, then allow to cool.
- Glaze: Combine 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 4 to 5 tablespoons water, stirring
to make a runny glaze.
- Store in airtight containers for a few weeks.
- These cookies start out hard and soften as they mature.
Makes about 50 cookies.
Source: Tulsa Tribune - November 13, 1991