Meat Balls in Sweet Gravy
This recipe comes from my German grandmother. Are they German or Swedish? It
doesn't matter. They're definitely sweet.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup onion, finely minced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
(or 2 tablespoons each butter and lard)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Make small meat balls from ground meats, crumbs, egg, minced onion, salt and
- Brown chopped onions in butter.
- Add flour and stir to brown and cook for about
- Add vinegar, water and brown sugar. Stir until slightly thickened.
- Taste gravy and add more brown sugar if you wish.
- Add meatballs and gently boil
for 30 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Posted by Marianna at Recipe Goldmine 10/20/2001 1:46 pm.