Meringue-Topped Apples (Apfel mit Meringue)
- 4 tart cooking apples, pared and cut into thin slices
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins or currants
- 1 tablespoon Calvados or applejack
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Arrange apples in greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Pour butter over apples;
sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar, the raisins and Calvados or applejack.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F until apples are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy.
- Beat in 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating on high speed until stiff and
glossy. Spread over apples.
- Bake until meringue is golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
Yields 6 to 8 servings.