Old-Fashioned German Sauerkraut
- 3 pounds sauerkraut, drained
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 cup molasses or dark brown sugar
- 3 apples, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Fry bacon crisp; save fat. Drain bacon on paper towels and set aside.
- Put remaining
ingredients into a pressure cooker and cook for 15 minutes; cool immediately.
one-half the bacon to the other ingredients and brown in a large skillet in the
- Sprinkle the remaining bacon on top and serve.
Instead of using a pressure cooker, put one-half the bacon and all other ingredients
into a large casserole dish and bake at 325 degrees F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours; baste
with wine. Sprinkle the remaining bacon on top and serve. This will keep for up
to 2 weeks refrigerated.