Pear Bread (Switzerland)
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup fat
- 2 cups water
- 3 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 pounds raisins
- 2 pounds dried pears
- 2 pounds currants
- 1 to 2 tablespoons anise powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Combine scalded milk, sugar, salt, fat and water. Cool to lukewarm.
- Soften yeast
in the lukewarm water.
- Stir in the yeast and enough flour to make a sponge dough.
- Add the fruit and enough flour to make a dough that will not stick to the board.
- Put into a bowl and let rise until double.
- Shape into loaves and let rise again until double.
- Bake at 225 degrees F about 2 hours.