- 3 ounces pumpernickel bread made into crumbs
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 2 1/2 cups quark*
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces whole cranberry sauce or fresh raspberries
- 3 slices pumpernickel, cut into small squares or triangles (for garnish)
- Place pumpernickel crumbs in a bowl and sprinkle the brandy over the crumbs.
Stir to coat evenly and let stand.
- Combine quark and sugar together and mix thoroughly. When crumbs have softened,
fold into the quark.
- Spoon a layer of quark-pumpernickel mixture into the bottom
of each of 6 glass dessert dishes.
- Spoon over a layer of cranberry sauce or raspberries.
- Continue layering the pumpernickel-quark mixture and cranberries or raspberries,
ending with a layer of quark on top.
- Decorate the top with the squares or triangles
of pumpernickel and a fresh raspberry or spoonful of sauce.
- Chill before serving.
* Quark is a low fat, soft cheese available in supermarkets and delicatessens.