This version of the classic dessert is enhanced by the use of raspberries and
blackberries, as well as the unique process of piping on the traditional diamond-shaped
- 1 (10 ounce) package sweetened frozen raspberries, thawed - do not drain - 1 (16.5 ounce) can raspberries may be used - see directions below
- 1 1/2 cups whole frozen Marion blackberries*, thawed - do not drain
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
* 1 (16.5 ounce) can Marion blackberries may be used - see directions below
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (6 ounces), softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Filling: Mix all filling ingredients in saucepan and simmer for 5-6 minutes,
stirring gently until thickened. Set aside to cool. (If canned berries are used,
drain, reserving 3/4 cup juice, and omit the additional 1 tablespoon water in recipe).
- Combine all filling ingredients in saucepan except berries, and heat until thickened.
- Add berries at this point and set aside to cool.
- Pastry: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all dry ingredients, lemon and orange peel together.
- Using pastry blender, cut in butter very finely until mixture has the consistency of
- Beat egg and yolk together.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients, pouring in
the beaten egg and blending with fork, until all dry ingredients are moistened -
2 to 3 minutes. (It will be very soft.)
- Cook's Note: The food processor method (i.e. cutting hard butter into flour
mixture) is not recommended here, as it is essential to use softened butter to have
a soft dough, in order to pipe through pastry tube.
- Assembly: Press half the dough in the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with removable
bottom, or 9-inch springform pan. Spread filling over dough. Using a pastry tube
fitted with a 3/8-inch plain or ridged tip, pipe diagonal lattice over filling.
Pipe a continuous border of large dots around outer edge where lattice intersects.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool tart completely before attempting to unmold. Dust with powdered sugar.
Serves 10 to 12
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission