Red Cabbage with Apples
This sweet-sour sauce is what the Pennsylvania Dutch brought with them from Germany
to the United States hundreds of years ago.
- 1 large onion, cut in half and thinly sliced in long slivers
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium-size tart apple, peeled and
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Heat the oil. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add cabbage and apple. Stir often
for 5 minutes, then stir in caraway seed, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, water,
salt and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is very tender
and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve hot!